While we are obviously huge proponents of electric breast pumps (Wyatt’s can help you get one through insurance at no cost to you!), we also know that there are times when a manual breast is the best pump for the job. Today we’re discussing FOUR uses for a manual pump, and specifically the Haakaa Silicone Manual Breast Pump (which we think is the bee's knees....keep reading to find out why! You may even find a discount code....)
WHY DO YOU NEED A MANUAL PUMP?
You might be thinking that since you have an electric breast pump you don't need a manual one, but there are a few different instances when a manual pump is the most beneficial and makes the most sense. Manual pumps in general are super portable, convenient, and easy to clean. They are especially useful in these scenarios:
- Early breastfeeding days to relieve engorgement.
- To stimulate the let-down reflex.
- To catch and collect leaking milk.
- To increase demand for milk, and thus, supply.
LET'S DISCUSS FURTHER
Engorgement is what happens when your breastmilk first comes in, and it's usually intense - tightness, hard/lumpy breasts, discomfort/tenderness, clogged ducts, and potential for difficult latch due to swelling. With the help of a manual pump, you can relieve the pressure of overfull breasts by releasing a small amount of milk. This is especially helpful when it’s not quite time for a feeding but you NEED relief!
- Using a manual pump to stimulate let-down is a smart trick to help babies who are easily frustrated or impatient at the breast (especially common for babies who are used to bottle feedings). That’s because a pump will do the initial work of stimulating the breast so that when baby is attached, milk is already flowing.
- While you’re nursing your baby on one breast, ever notice how much milk is leaking out of the opposite side? Wouldn’t it be nice to catch all of that milk and be able to save it for a feeding rather than just soaking a nursing pad? Well, now ya can! There are a couple of products designed for this purpose specifically, but our favorite by far is the Haakaa Silicone Manual Breast Pump. (More about this pump in a minute!)
- A great way to increase demand for breastmilk is to attach a pump while you’re nursing, so both breasts are being stimulated at the same time. And of course, increased demand = increased supply! That's the basic building block of a strong and sustainable breastfeeding journey.
SO, WHAT'S SO GREAT ABOUT THE HAAKAA PUMP?
The popular Haakaa Silicone Manual Breast Pump is loved for being simple to use and convenient, as well as resolving a problem breastfeeding moms everywhere experience.
Leaking while nursing is a nuisance that most women barely even notice once they have established breastfeeding, because it just comes with the territory! Nursing pads are the typical go-to, to catch all of the leaking milk that would normally soak your bra and shirt. But with your Haakaa attached, not only will it collect your let-down milk, but it will slowly and gently draw out a bit of additional milk as well, usually amounting to a couple of ounces that would have otherwise been wasted! (Cue the mindblown emoji!). Even if you “only” get an ounce per breastfeeding session in the Haakaa, that quickly adds up to a full feeding in a day or two!
HOW DOES IT WORK? (*Be sure to read on for an important tip!)
The pliable silicone is made to be easily compressible, and when attached to the breast the suction mechanism creates a vacuum - this draws out the milk and then the milk is collected in the body of the pump! If milk stops flowing at any point and the pump is not yet full, just squeeze and release the body of the pump to restart the suction and more milk should begin to flow.
*IMPORTANT TIP FOR GETTING THE MOST BENEFIT FROM YOUR HAAKAA:
Instead of only squeezing the bottom bulb-shaped piece, also fold back the top of the pump that fits over the breast. Then once you position the pump over the nipple, release the top part that you had folded back. This creates a stronger seal and an even better suction! BRILLIANT. (To see this demonstrated, check out our Instagram "Spotlight" highlights.)
One more thing we love about the Haakaa is that it’s valuable from the very start of breastfeeding as well as later into your BF journey. We really believe this ingenious little product is a game changer for breastfeeding moms, and if you’d like to try it out, we’re offering a $10 off coupon code for the month of October (2019)!
CLICK HERE TO SHOP HAAKAA, & at checkout enter the code HAAKAA10OFF for a $10 DISCOUNT!
Thanks for reading! We love helping you thrive in your motherhood and breastfeeding journeys! Reach out anytime.